Destination Bridgeport Home Page
Destination: Bridgeport
Attractions

Historic Downtown Bridgeport

 

In 2006 Bridgeport was named a Texas Main Street City and has been recognized as a National Main Street City since 2007. This prestigious recognition shows that the City and its residents are committed to preserving our historic business district, both architecturally and economically. Extensive renovations have been made to the Bridgeport Stage, a former Arcadia movie theater, which now houses a versatile performance hall. Main Street low-interest loans and grants have been used by many small businesses to restore historic buildings.

 
900 Thompson - 940-683-3404

Bridgeport Visitors Center/Chamber of Commerce

 

A 70 year old building located in historic downtown at 812 A Halsell Street was renovated in 2009 for the Visitors Center and Chamber of Commerce on the upper level.  Call 940-683-2076 or look here for details.  A glass enclosure was added to the front to house a life-size replica of a Concord Stagecoach commemorating Bridgeport’s official designation by the Texas State Legislature as the Stagecoach Capital of Texas that same year.

Bridgeport Heritage Museum - the Stagecoach Capital of Texas 

 

A first class museum, on the lower level of the Visitors Center, was built for you, by museum volunteers, to visually showcase the people, natural resources and economies of the Bridgeport area.  See interpretive exhibits covering the past 100 years including:  Coal mines, Lake Bridgeport, Barnett Shale Natural Gas, Bridgeport Brick, Butterfield Stage Overland Mail Route, etc.  Open 1:00 – 4:00 pm Monday-Saturday.  940-683-5389.

Bridgeport Riding Club Arena

 

The Bridgeport Riding Club and the Bridgeport Chamber joined forces in 2007 and annually sponsor the Butterfield Stage Days PRCA Rodeo the second Saturday in May at the Bridgeport Riding Club Arena, located 1 ½ miles west of Bridgeport on FM 920.  The PRCA Rodeo attracts participants from across the country and has a huge audience.   The Bridgeport Riding Club also hosts a youth rodeo and several team roping events throughout the year. 

Bridgeport City Parks

 

Bridgeport has two family friendly city parks. Harwood Park, at 707 Hovey Street, features a swimming pool, covered pavilion, restroom facilities, 10 picnic tables, grills, lighted walking trails, two playgrounds and horseshoe pits on 8.3 acres. Call 940-683-3400 to reserve the pavilion.  Payne Park, at 409 W Cates Street, features a covered skate park, picnic tables, playground, basketball court and restrooms on 1.3 acres of park land.

Recreational Ball Fields

 

Lawdwin Ball Fields, located at 1102 Lawdwin Ave. consist of 13 acres including 2 baseball fields, 1 softball field, 1 small multi-purpose field, and 1 multi-purpose field used for spring soccer and fall football.  There are concessions and restrooms open during games.  For more information see here.

Northwest OHV Park
 
The City of Bridgeport’s Northwest OHV Park contains 300+ acres for Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) trails with adventure sports and nature trails coming soon.   Although not fully developed, it already is a popular attraction for rock crawlers, ATV riders and many more.  For more information, see  here.
Golf Courses
 
Bridgeport Country Club is located just south of Bridgeport on FM 2123, west of State Hwy 114. It features one of the top 9-hole golf courses in the area, a pro shop, a newly constructed club house with meeting and banquet facilities, and swimming pool.  Call 940-9438 for more information.  The Club at Runaway Bay, located 10 miles west of Bridgeport on US 380, boasts a challenging 18-hole golf course, pro shop, and full service restaurant.  The facility may be rented for groups up to 300.  Call 940-683-2225 for details.  Both courses are open to non-members with some schedule restrictions. 

Lake Bridgeport

 

Five miles west of Bridgeport, this 13,000 surface acre lake features over 170 miles of shoreline ranging from sandy beaches to sheer rock cliffs.  Several boat launching facilities and waterfront businesses are available for your paddling or boating convenience.  The lake is also home to the Methodist Camp and Conference Center and the 3,000+ acre Sid Richardson Scout Ranch.  www.Lake-Bridgeport.com and www.tpwd.state.tx.us   contain extensive information about the lake.  Also see www.lakebridgeport-guideservice.com for information on gaining a licensed guide.

Camp and Conference Center
 
Located on 200 acres above Lake Bridgeport, Bridgeport Camp and Conference Center has offered Christian summer camps and retreat facilities to thousands each year since 1949.  The camp includes a challenge course, swimming pool, sand volleyball courts and lakeside lodges.  Call 940-683-2555 or see www.bridgeportcamp.com for additional information.

Bridgeport RV Parks and Camp Grounds 

 

Wise County Park, at 372 County Road 1638, on the north end of Lake Bridgeport, west of FM 2952, has three two-lane boat ramps with piers,  ample parking, fishing, swimming,  public restrooms and showers, handicap access, picnic tables, a playground, a nature trail (2+ miles), 3 pavilions, 33 tent campsites, and 24 RV hook-ups. Call 940-644-1910 or visit www.co.wise.tx.us

 

North Side Marina and Resort offers seven full RV hookup sites for rental at the marina, as well as one to four-bedroom cabins.  The marina is located at the north end of Lake Bridgeport in the Three Fingers/Blockers Camp Cove.  Boats and boat slips are available for rental.   For more information call 940-644-5475 or see www.northsidemarina.net.

LBJ National Grasslands

 

The largest public open space in North Texas consists of 20,000+ acres of rolling hills and restored grasslands.  The property provides numerous opportunities to hike, ride horses, fish, camp, watch birds and wildlife, hunt and more.  Black Creek Lake provides restrooms, seven picnic units, seven walk-in camp units, a boat ramp and a fishing bridge; no drinking water.  A Ranger District Office located at 1400 US 81/287 North, is open Monday – Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm and will provide more information.  www.fs.usda.gov/texas call 940-627-5475.

Bridgeport Falls Paddling Trail

 

The Bridgeport Falls low water weir dam creates a pleasant 5.8 mile looped paddling trail under a lush canopy of native trees and other vegetation. You will paddle along the river’s sandy banks with occasional sandstone outcroppings. The flora and fauna envelopes you as you traverse the West Fork of the Trinity River.

 

From Ft.Worth/ Dallas take SH114 west to Bridgeport. As you enter the south side of Bridgeport, turn left on FM 2123. Signs for Bridgeport Falls Parking are immediately visible on the left.  For more information see here.
Sid Richardson Scout Ranch
 
Located on Lake Bridgeport, just west of Runaway Bay, the property is owned and operated by the Boy Scouts of America and is part of the Longhorn Council.  Sid Richardson donated more than 16 miles of shoreline in 1968 allowing scouts to camp among heavy woods and scenic cliffs.  Other activities offered are swimming, a flight simulation center and horsemanship program.  The ranch boasts the presence of longhorn cattle, working oil and gas wells, an 1870’s U.S. Cavalry outpost and the rumor of buried gold at the Devil’s Den hideout of famous outlaw Sam Bass.  Lakeview Lodge has cottages and dormitories available for rent by the public for meetings, conferences, family reunions and other gatherings.  For more info call 940-575-4243 or see www.longhorncouncil.org.
Wise County Historical Markers
 
Wise County boasts more than 80 state historical markers.  “Welcome to Wise” Visitors Guide 2011, page 126, has a listing of 14 markers of interest.  The complete list may be viewed on line at www.stoppingpoints.com/texas scroll down and click on Wise County.
Wise County Courthouse
 
Perhaps the most distinctive landmark, the 115-year-old majestic structure stands proud and tall in the center of the county.  Built in 1896 of pink granite, J. Riely Gordon of New York was the architect.  His design, praised as architecturally perfect, has been awarded a historical medallion and plaque from the Texas Historical Commission and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The courthouse is a favorite subject of photographers.
Wise County Heritage Museum
 
The Wise County Heritage Museum is a monument to the past.  Located on the south end of Trinity Street in Decatur, it was once the Decatur Baptist College, and is now owned by the Wise County Historical Society.  The Museum has many relics from the past, including one of its most well-known – the Lost Battalion Room.  The museum is open 10 am to 3 pm Monday through Saturday.  Tours are available by calling 940-627-5586 or 940-627-3732.
Lost Battalion Room – World War II
 
A room in the Wise County Heritage Museum serves as a tribute to the local soldiers whom Japan took as prisoners of war in the Dutch East Indies during World War II.  Members of the Lost Battalion from both the Army and Navy were mostly from Wise and Jack counties.  They were held captive for 42 months under the most brutal conditions.  The Lost Battalion Room contains personal items, as well as documents detailing hardships the men faced in captivity.  No members of the Lost Battalion from Wise County are still alive.  For more information call 940-627-5586.

C.A.R.E “Big Cat” Sanctuary

 

The Center for Animal Research & Education, (CARE) was founded to provide for the rescue, rehabilitation, and holistic nurturing of sick, injured or abused big cats thus ensuring a vital habitat and safe haven for them to live in comfort and with dignity.  Further, with public education and research, to ultimately ensure the future of the species. Tours are available upon request. http://www.bigcatcare.org.

Endeavor Bridgeport

 

Endeavor Bridgeport is a 1,235 acre public/private development which includes industrial, commercial and recreational economic development land uses and projects.  Endeavor Bridgeport will incorporate many of the community’s natural assets to promote eco/recreational tourism, industrial expansion, and commercial development. Current operational development includes the first 100 acres of Endeavor Bridgeport industrial park and 300+acres for Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) trails in the Northwest OHV Park.  Additional information is available at www.endeavorbridgeport.com.

Bridgeport Stage-Historic Downtown Theater

 

The Stage is a quaint theater in historic downtown Bridgeport. Seating for 230 with amenities including: a ticket window, central heating and cooling, dressing room, spacious lobby, stage, kitchen and a sound system.  Bridgeport Stage is the setting for the monthly 1st Thursday Jam featuring the best in Texas Music along with local and regional musicians.  They join together to sing their songs, play their music and tell their stories!  For rental information please call the number below.

 

Bridgeport Stage

1009 Halsell Street,
Bridgeport, Texas 76426
940-683-3480

Brushy Creek Vineyards and Winery

 

Located about 55 miles north-northwest of Fort Worth on US 287, the winery continues the tradition of making Texas wine exclusively from Texas grapes.  They both make and sell their wine on the property. They can ship wines to anywhere in Texas and other states where it is legal to do so.  Call the Tasting Room at 940-427-4747, email them at wineclub@brushycreekvineyards.com or visit their website at www.brushycreekvineyards.com . Open 7 days a week.

Red’s Take 5 Sports Bar -- Buck's North Texas Live!

 

It is located at 101 Industrial Park. Now featuring Buck's North Texas Live -- an outdoor venue featuring the stars live, and those who will be! For more information please call 940-683-4002.